3 Telltale Signs That Your Home HVAC System Needs Repair
Even with regular maintenance and preventative care, HVAC systems tend to malfunction. However, you can ensure that the repairs are kept to a minimum by being proactive. There are several signs that indicate your Bay Area HVAC system needs professional help. These are the three major ones.
- Warm Air Blowing Out of Vents
HVAC system that blows out warm air is nothing but useless. Clogged or blocked return vents, dirty condenser coils and clogged air filters are usually the cause behind this issue. You can take care of these problems on your own. However, you should get in touch with an HVAC technician if the warm air problem doesn’t resolve even after taking care of these things.
It could be because of:
- Low Refrigerant: Air conditioners need refrigerant to create cooling power in a closed-loop system. Refrigerant leaks don’t allow the system to produce cool air.
- Damaged or leaky air ducts: Damaged or leaky air ducts are another reason for warm air blowing out of the vents. This can cause cool air to escape into the crawl space, attic, or elsewhere.
- Faulty condenser: A problematic condensing unit may also be the reason for the HVAC system emitting warm air. Blown fuse or trapped circuit breaker can render the system ineffective.
- Bad thermostat: Malfunctioning thermostat can cause the system to produce warm air. The most obvious solution is to make sure nobody tampered with the temperature settings. You should call a professional repairperson if that is not the case.
- Increase in Utility Bills
Unusually high utility bills could be an indication that there is something wrong with your HVAC system. These are a few things that could be wrong with your HVAC system:
- Failing parts: Components, such as capacitors (this has nothing to do with Back to the Future), compressors, and motors tend to experience wear and tear which can reduce the system’s efficiency.
- Faulty air ducts: Leaks or holes in the ducts can cause cool air to escape making your system work harder. You should have a technician take a look at the ductwork.
- Faulty installation: HVAC systems that are incorrectly installed tend to cause a range of problems down the line. You may experience frequent breakdowns and ineffective cooling in addition to an increase in utility bills.
- HVAC System Making Strange Noises
While it is normal for HVAC systems to make noises, there are some sounds that warrant attention. These are:
- Clicking sound: Clicking sound from the outdoor unit means there is something obstructing the fan or an electrical fault. Make sure you turn off the system before attempting to remove the object. Electrical components and wiring should only be repaired by trained technicians.
- Squealing sound: This sound is usually produced when the fan belt becomes faulty in the indoor unit. Damaged belt may break and cause an eventual breakdown. It is best to get it repaired before you have to spend days without your air conditioner which is not good in the summer or the winter – certainly the summer.
- Screeching sound: Screeching sound from metal on metal can be because of worn bearings on the fan motor. You will need to replace or fix the fan for this.
- Clanging or banging sound: The fan is probably hitting something if the outdoor unit is making clanging sounds. You should get a professional technician to have a look if you cannot identify the problem.